Monday, May 26, 2008

The Motown Series - 2


Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - The Tracks of my Tears
One of my favourite songs which I featured on my Monumental Soundbyte series.

This song was released in 1965 when Motown was still known as Tamla Records. This song is extra special to me because it rings true for my personality. The song is about a man hiding his sadness and heartbreak about a relationship gone bad behind smiles. The words are so eloquently delivered by the green-eyed hotness that is Smokey Robinson. This man sings like it aint no big thing.

This song topped a number of charts including Billboard’s R&B singles chart (#2) and Billboard Hot 100 (#16). It is also #50 on The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list.
This song has also been covered by a number of artists including Linda Ronstadt, Aretha Franklin, Gavin DeGraw, Michael McDonald and Boyz II Men.
One reason that I love the Motown era so much has a lot to do with the words of the songs. Some of them are downright cheesy and this one is one of the cheesiest ever but I just love it….The words are below. My favorite of the cheesy lines i have highlighted in red:

People say I'm the life of the party
Because I tell a joke or two
Although I might be laughing loud and hearty
Deep inside I'm blue
So take a good look at my face
You'll see my smile looks out of place
If you look closer, it's easy to trace
The tracks of my tears..
I need you, need you
Since you left me if you see me with another girl
Seeming like I'm having fun
Although she may be cute
She's just a substitute
Because you're the permanent one..
So take a good look at my face
You'll see my smile looks out of place
If you look closer, it's easy to trace
The tracks of my tears..
I need you, need you
Outside I'm masquerading
Inside my hope is fading
Just a clown oh yeah
Since you put me down
My smile is my make up
I wear since my break up with you..
So take a good look at my face
You'll see my smile looks out of place
If you look closer, it's easy to trace
The tracks of my tears

1 comment:

Dropsofglamour said...

I love this song and smokey's voice is actually what really sells it so no cover can ever match up, in my opinion :-)

He rocks!!!